A guide to the eligibility criteria for the Kailash Mansarovar Yatra:
Visiting Mount Kailash and Lake Mansarovar is a wish that is dear to the hearts of most Hindu devotees of Lord Shiva. Jains, Buddhists and Bons also wish to visit Mount Kailash for its religious significance. If you are a Shiv-Bhakt (devotee), going on the Kailash Mansarovar Yatra is something you want to do at least once in your lifetime, knowing whether or not you are eligible for it is important.
The Yatra as conducted by a reputed private tour agency:
You may find that going on the Kailash Mansarovar Yatra with a private tour agency is more to your liking. It may be that the travel options they offer are better and far more convenient. Also, you may find that going by helicopter is less time-consuming and physically less demanding. This is something that a reputed private tour agency will be able to easily organize. Here’s what you need to know about the eligibility criteria:
- You must have a valid passport. It is necessary that your passport have at least 6 months left on the day of start of the journey.
- The applicant must be between the ages of 10 and 70 years. This means that the travel options available are safe enough for families to go together.
- Though no medical examinations will be conducted, the applicant must be medically and physically fit. And the medical fitness certificate from an MBBS doctor must be submitted.
Though the eligibility criteria for the Kailash Yatra organized by most private tour agencies is not difficult, it is important to understand what this means for the pilgrims themselves. It means that anyone who wishes to go should take a lot of care to find an agency that is reputed and highly skilled at the job or conducting the journey in the safest manner. Care should also be taken to prepare for the journey well beforehand by starting a good exercise regiment at least 3 months before the commencement of the Yatra. Pilgrims should also get medical examinations done to find out if there is anything wrong with their health so that they can get the attention needed before the journey. Last but not the least, going on the Kailash Mansarovar Yatra is a lot about the mind. So clear your mind, forgive your enemies and go on the journey with a clean slate. This way, you will be able to fully enjoy this life-changing experience.
The Yatra as conducted by the Ministry of External Affairs:
If you choose to go with the MEA, then you will be going under the direct supervision of the Government of India. It is by far the most popular means of going on the journey. Here the eligibility criteria you need to know about:
- 1.Not only must the applicant be an Indian citizen, he should also have a valid Indian passport with at least 6 months left as on 1st September of the year of the journey.
- 2.The age of the applicant has to be at least 18 years and the maximum age should be no more than 70 years. It is crucial that the applicant have a Body Mass Index of 25 or less.
- 3.It is essential that the applicant is of certain physical and mental fitness. Examinations will be conducted to determine the health parameters of an applicant before the commencement of the Yatra.
- 4.The applicant must not suffer from diseases and conditions such as high blood pressure, asthma, diabetes, epilepsy, heart disease, etc.
- 5.All selected applicants will have to undergo medical examinations conducted by the Delhi Heart and Lung Institute and the ITBP Base Hospital in New Delhi to determine eligibility for high-altitude trekking. If one is found ineligible medically, then his application will be rejected.
- 6.When you apply for the Kailash Mansarovar Yatra with the Ministry of External Affairs, you have to be flexible with the date. The government schedules the journey in batches on selected dates. It is a shame if you are selected for the journey but ultimately unable to go because of date issues. The government will simply cancel your application if you are unable to go on the dates scheduled by it instead of giving you another date.
- 7.If you have gone on the Yatra previously, your application will be given priority over those who haven't.
- 8.No applicant will be entertained who have legal or executive sanction that prevents them from going abroad for some reason and their applications will be automatically rejected.
- 9.Accuracy of information is crucial. It is important that you provide information that is accurate and true in every sense of the term. Unless that happens, your application will be rejected.